This one comes from our Scott Family Cookbook and is attributed to Aunt Peggy. I loved this one growing up and I think it worked well to get veggies in us when nothing else would. We love good food, but I don't like to be in the kitchen all the time. So, we usually double this recipe and enjoy these leftovers too. Yield: 6 servings
1/4 c. butter (less works too and we substitute with Smart Balance)
1 1/4 c. long-grain rice (uncooked)
2 (10 1/2oz) cans consomme (broth)
1 t salt
3/4 c. chopped green onion
3/4 c. chopped carrots
3/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. sliced almonds* optional
In a large frying pan, add the rice to the melted butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated but not brown (about 5 minutes). Add consomme and salt and continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Turn into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (9x13).
Bake covered (we usually use foil and seal it well to keep the moisture in) in moderately hot oven (375 degrees) for about 30 minutes or until rice is tender. About 10 minutes before rice is done, remove from oven and stir in chopped raw vegetables and almonds if desired. Return to oven and continue baking with cover on for remaining 10 minutes. The vegetables should remain quite crisp in contrast with the tender grains of rice.
NOTES:
To make this a one dish meal, I usually throw in some cooked chicken (previously cooked or canned). Shredded beef, tuna or other fish would work well too.
In place of the nuts, I usually substitute part of the long-grain rice called for with a wild rice mixture for the wonderful aroma and the nuttiness...I just have to add a little longer cooking time (about 45 minutes total) and an extra 1/2 to one cup broth to make up the difference.
The way we cook, everything in a recipe is subject to modification and substitutions. We use the vegetables we have on hand. The more color the better. Here we used zuchinni, carrots and celery. We often love to add squash and have even tried rasins or craisins with flavorful results.
No comments:
Post a Comment