Friday, October 16, 2009

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas



This was a creation I came up with, after one of those "what am I going to make for dinner?" moments, when I found a package of corn tortillas in the freezer. My mom always made great enchiladas, and I loved making them in our dairy-days too....but without sour cream and cheese, could I really achieve a similar result? Yes! These were creamy and delicious and "hit the spot" perfectly!

Preheat to 350 degrees
Yield: 10-12 servings

One package 36 count Corn Tortillas
1/2 c. Flour
1/2 c. Smart Balance
2 c. Rice Milk
2 c. Chicken Broth
One can Green Enchilada Sauce (10 oz)
1 c. Cooked Chicken, shredded
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper or to Taste

1.  Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 pan.  Set aside.

2.  In medium saucepan, melt Smart Balance over low heat.  Blend in Flour till mixture smooth.  Add Salt and Pepper.  Add Milk all at once.  Cook quickly and stir constantly till mixture smooth.  Add Chicken Broth and stir in till combined and mixture thickens and bubbles.  Add enchilada sauce and Cooked Chicken.  Reduce to low heat and simmer, stirring frequently.

3.  Meanwhile, Cut 2/3 of the tortillas (approximately 24 tortillas) into quarters (or tear into bite sizes). 

4.  Spread approximately 1/2 cup sauce mixture on the bottom of 9x13 pan.  Cover this with a layer of tortilla quarters (overlapping slightly if desired).   Cover this layer with 3/4 to 1 cup sauce and repeat with all the remaining sauce and tortillas.  Reserve enough sauce to fully  cover the top layer so the entire pan of enchilladas will be moist, tender and creamy when done.

5.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  (Uncover during the last 10 minutes of baking if a more crunchy crust is desired).  Serve.

No comments: